[omniORB] Bidirectional problem

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Mon Oct 18 19:20:44 BST 2004

On Monday 18 October, Harri Pasanen wrote:

[...]
> > It's fixed in CVS. Thanks for the example code.
>
> I was about to start looking into producing a testcase on the problem
> with occasional problems in talking to omniNames when bidir policy
> was defined.
>
> http://www.omniorb-support.com/pipermail/omniorb-list/2004-September/025880.html

[...]
> I wonder if the fix above addresses this as well?

I believe the fix I checked in fixes the omniNames issue too. The
problem was that a listener thread was started for bidirectional
messages, even though the client was using GIOP 1.0. The bidirectional
listener only supports GIOP 1.2, so it would get upset by the GIOP 1.0
replies. The reason it only happens intermittently with omniNames is
that the client usually only uses GIOP 1.0 for the first call, after
which it either starts using GIOP 1.2, or finishes using omniNames
altogether. The bidirectional listener thread takes a while to start
up, so normally the whole communication has finished before the bidir
thread gets involved.

The fix is to prevent the thread from starting unless the client is
using GIOP 1.2.