[omniORB] Newbie: Compiling problems omniORB-4.0.5 using Cygwin, WinXP, MS VC7.0

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Mon Dec 20 17:09:59 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 15 December, Roland Goecke wrote:

> I am trying to compile omniORB-4.0.5 on a Windows XP machine with
> Cygwin, Python2.4 and MS Visual Studio 7.0. I followed the
> instructions in README.win32.txt, selected the configuration
>
> platform = x86_nt_4.0_vs_7
>
> in config/config.mk and set the path to my Python2.4 installation in
> \mk\platforms\x86_nt_4.0_vs_7.mk.
>
> omniORB seems to compile fine for a while until I get the following
> error message:
>
> c:\omniORB-4.0.5\bin\x86_win32\omkdepend.exe: warning: idlpython.cc,
> line 172: unknown directive == "#warning "Please use an up-to-date
> version of gcc! (>2.91 recommended)""

That message is just the omkdepend tool getting confused. It's not an
error at all, and it's not a sign that the build is trying to use gcc.

[...]
> + ../../../bin/x86_win32/libwrapper -gnuwin32 debug/omnithreadd.lib
> debug/nt.o
> + install -c debug/omnithread.lib ../../../lib/x86_win32
> 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback

Strange. What omniORB distribution did you use?  If you got the binary
.zip version, that includes the omnipython minimal Python distribution,
so maybe it's getting confused by files belonging to different Python
versions.  If you're compiling the source, you should get just the
source tarball.

If that isn't the issue, does Python work if you just run it from the
command line?