[omniORB] Negotiating firewalls and ssh connections

Harri Pasanen harri.pasanen at trema.com
Mon Oct 20 19:42:47 BST 2003

Hello,

I've been playing a bit with ssh tunnelling and bidirectional GIOP,
with rather weak results for the moment.

I suppose I'm lacking the low level details about ports being opened
and in which order to make this work.

As far as GIOP goes, it seems that in addition to omniORB
configuration bidir specifier for the server and client transports,
it requires a POA policy that the omniNames does not implement.
Would there be any harm in enabling that by default?  So that testing
GIOP would only require configuration changes, and not recompilation
of binaries?

As to making callback object work via ssh tunnelling, I'm still
thinking that it should be possible with a correct incantation of
-ORBendPoint and -ORBendPointNoPublish in combination of ssh -L and
-R tunnelling switches.  Or is there something I'm missing?
If not, an example would be a time-saver.

Regards,

Harri