[omniORB] RPM: omniNames init script is not executable

Bastiaan Bakker bastiaan.bakker at lifeline.nl
Wed Dec 24 13:07:17 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-24 at 03:45, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> > Setting the execute bit on the script resolves the problem.
> > The omiORB.spec file says:
> > %config(noreplace) %_sysconfdir/rc.d/init.d/*
> > Any reason why the initscripts are declared 'config'? They are clearly
> > not config and most likely it causes rpmbuild to 'chmod -x' the files.
>
> They are declared 'config' to make sure that they do not get replaced by
> an upgrade (in case someone has changed command line switches or the
> chkconfig startup mode, for example). I'll look at some other RPM spec
> files to see if that is a typical choice.

Ah, I see.
But I guess it's better to have a mechanism to control command line
switches in /etc/sysconfig/omniNames rather than having people modify
the init script.
Of course the chkconfig issue still remains.

> I think I have a fix for the permissions problem already in my latest
> "development" RPM set. Did you have a chance to look at that? I was
> looking for feedback on the SuSE startup script in particular, but would
> welcome comments on any other part also (your name already shows up in
> the changelog...).
>
> The source RPM is posted at
>
>    http://www.fourpalms.org/pub/omniORB/devel/omniORB-4.0.3-4.src.rpm
>
>                      - Tom

I've rebuild the RPM on RHEL3.
First observations: the omniNames init script now correctly has execute
permissions, but the file ownership has not been set to root: the
%config(noreplace) %attr(775,-,-) %{rc_path}/*
should be:
%config(noreplace) %attr(775,root,root) %{rc_path}/*

because they completely override the '%defattr' settings.

I'll let you know if I find more (could take some time though, because
I'm offline the coming week).

Cheers,

Bastiaan Bakker
LifeLine Networks bv