[omniORB] omniORB binary builds for Unix. Comments/suggestions please.

Radu-Adrian Popescu radu.popescu at aldratech.com
Fri Dec 19 20:37:32 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 13:17, Tingle, Alex wrote:

> I plan to build omniORB binaries for a variety of Unix platforms, so that
> Duncan can upload them to Sourceforge. How does everyone think I should
> package the binaries?
>
> 1. The very simple option: Just follow the normal build procedure.
>
>  mkdir build; cd build
>  ../configure
>  make; make veryclean
>  cd ../..
>  tar cvfz omniORB-binaries.tgz omni
>
> Originally, Duncan & I agreed that I would build the binaries as normal and
> then just tar up the omni directory again. Users could then just use the
> normal `make install'. However once I started to do that, it occurred to me
> that it wouldn't necessary be much use to anyone but me.
>
> `../configure' finds a copy of `install' that doesn't necessarily exist on
> someone else's box. So `make install' is likely to fail.
>
> Would the result be useful to people on it's own, even though `make install'
> might not work?
>

> 2. Do a build install, and then tar up the install directory.
>
>  mkdir /tmp/omniORB-binaries
>  mkdir build; cd build
>  ../configure --prefix=/tmp/omniORB-binaries
>  make; make install
>  cd /tmp
>  tar cvfz omniORB-binaries.tgz omniORB-binaries
>
> This would give people a pre-installed version of omniORB, but without any
> of the documentation or source code. They could untar it into a home
> directory or even just copy the files into /usr/local or wherever. Would
> this be useful?
>

> 3. Something else?
>
> Perhaps a new configure script, designed to find just basic things like
> `install'. I'm open to suggestions.
>

> Finally, there is the issue of non-omniORB libraries. If these binaries are
> to be useful for people without C++ compilers installed, they will need the
> C++ runtime libraries. It's usually OK to distribute the runtime libraries
> for commercial compilers, but should I bother? Put another way: is a binary
> distribution any use without the C++ runtime libraries?

Isn't there some libtool black magick that allows for selective
static/dynamic linking ?
What I mean is cut the stdc++ lib deps for the omniORB shared libraries.
At least for Linux :-).

Why ? Well, I develop on RH9/Fedora C1 and the deployment machines are
older RH systems,
like 7.2 and 7.3. While a plain C program can be copied in binary form
from FC1 to RH 7.2,
a C++ one cannot (RH7.2 doesn't have libstdc++.so.5); yes, I could build
all my required libraries
with all of the three (yes, three) versions of g++ (2.96, 3.2.3 and
3.3.2), this would require quite
an amount of effort and management.

So, a possible and probable use would be distributing omniORB client
programs in binary form,
without requiring anything special on the machine except the orb
configuration file (since
omniORB libraries would have come from a rpm package or something
similar).

Regards,

--
Radu-Adrian Popescu