[omniORB] OmniORB3 and multiple network interfaces

Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:01:19 +0000

On Friday 25 January, Luke Deller wrote:
> ml wrote:
>
> > We are developing an OmniORB3 based server.  The machine has
> > more than one network interface.  Unfortunately, the IOR
> > string contains the "wrong" IP number.  In fact, we may have
> > up to three interfaces, say eth0, ppp0, and xxx0.  Both eth0
> > and ppp0 should be in the IOR string, but not xxx0, because
> > it has a "local" IP address assigned (192.168.x.y).  How can
> > this be done with OmniORB3?  I'm sure, that this is a
> > common problem with a standard solution, right?
>
> I believe that you need OmniORB4 to do this.

That's not quite true. omniORB 3 servers can listen on any number of
network interfaces. You just give the -ORBpoa_iiop_name_port argument
more than once:

  $ server -ORBpoa_iiop_name_port first.host.name
    -ORBpoa_iiop_name_port second.host.name

Unfortunately, omniORB 3 clients only ever try to contact the first
address listed in an object reference. This means you can use omniORB
3 to solve the first problem, where you have two network interfaces,
and it's picking the wrong one, but it won't work fully with three
interfaces.

omniORB 4 clients do try all the addresses in turn, so you might want
to look at that.