[omniORB] Making ORBs in CGI programs

Attila Pletyak attila.pletyak@anemo.com
25 Jan 2002 09:50:42 +0100

Hello,

  We are using omniORB 3.04 in a quite big distributed application. The
users of the system get all the information via CGI programs. Our
application adds to this system (ie. we cannot change this way of CGI
programs). We've created a so-called router servant, which simply
forwards the requests from the CGI programs to the background servers.

  My question came up regarding the connection from the CGI programs to
the router process. There will be tons of requests coming (50-100/sec)
and with this 50-100 ORBs are gotten created making a local connection
via the 127.0.0.1 shortcut. When the CGI process terminates the
connection is thrown away. Can a Linux server bear such a (network)
load? Does anyone have experience regarding this? I am interested in the
way tcp/ip connections are made and then deleted. The CGI programs read
up the reference of the router program from a file so as not to kill the
nameserver.

  I've read the "Local invocations" thread on this list which spoke
about short-circuiting the connection from one process to the other on
the same computer, using unix domain sockets. Will this feature be only
in omniORB4 or are there any chance it will go into omniORB3 as well?
BTW is omniORB4 as stable as omniORB3 or there are a lot to do?

  Thanks in advance,

  Attila Pletyak