[omniORB] Threads in ORB

jorgefm@cirsa.com jorgefm@cirsa.com
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 17:37:57 +0200

Hi Bjorn,

I was considering the worst scenario when i have to send a prioritary
notification to a client's thread
and the connection is busy with a low priority notification to another
client's thread in the same process.

If you can create threads with different priority levels, in linux you can,
it's possible to process one thread
before another and if every thread has its own connection you can overcome
the previous situation.
I'm studying the omniORB to use it in an embedded development and things
like this are relevant, and
I know that it's very OS specific but i was a bit curious :-)

Thanks you,
Jorge

                    bjorn rohde jensen
                    <shamus@tdcadsl.dk>                Para:   omniorb-list@uk.research.att.com
                    Enviado por:                       cc:
                    owner-omniorb-list@uk.resear       Asunto: Re: [omniORB] Threads in ORB
                    ch.att.com

                    29/04/2002 15.43
                    Por favor, responda a shamus

Hi Jorge,

 Things like threads and processes are rather OS and ORB dependent,
i would recommend, that you try not to make assumptions about that
sort of thing.
 The scenario, you describe, is quite reasonable for a for a server
using a thread pool. I am not sure, why you would expect the process
id for threads in the same process to differ, you should ask about their
thread id instead, i would say. It is also quite possible for the work
load on the server to be so low, that it can be handled by a single
worker.
 Why is this important to you? It is really an implementation detail,
i would day.

Yours sincerely,

Bjorn

[snip]