[omniORB] Building omniORBpy 1.4: minor suggestion

Patrick Hubert hubert@discreet.com
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:10:42 -0400 (EDT)

Hello all,

I've succesfully build omniORB 304 and omniORBpy 1.4 from within
clearcase on NT an IRIX. All the sources files were clearcase read-only
objects.

When building omniORBpy, I had to checkout both of these files:
  omniORBpy/python/CosNaming/__init__.py
  omniORBpy/python/CosNaming__POA/__init__.py

The "problem" occurs when make recurses in omniORBpy/python and after
making the subdirectories omniORB, CosNaming and CosNaming__POA. At that
point there is a dependency of 'export' on 'Naming_idl.py' which needs to
be generated using omniidl.

When omniidl is run, it ends up using loading the python modules CosNaming
and CosNaming__POA, but instead of using those in ${TOP}/lib/python it
uses those found in the current directory (${TOP}/src/lib/omniORBpy/python)
because python's sys.path states that the current directory should be
searched for modules before ${TOP}/lib/python is...

At that point, the python backend of omniidl tries to update the modules
(${TOP}/lib/python/omniidl_be/python.py, method real_updateModules, line
1752) and thus tries to create a new __init__.py file in both CosNaming
and CosNaming__POA.

The problem in my case is that the 'original' __init__.py files are
read-only clearcase objects. Which is why I need to checkout these two
files for things to compile without problem.

To make a long story short, this is not really a problem because the
modules being loaded are identical to those that are located in
${TOP}/lib/python.

But I believe that we should nonetheles ensure that the modules loaded are
from '${TOP}/lib/python', just to avoid any misunderstanding...

My understanding of the make process is a bit limited, but by just
changing the names of the subdirectories under omniORBpy/python, we would
then prevent the modules from being loaded from the 'wrong' place. There
are surely other more graceful alternatives...

I don't know if this also applies to omniORBpy 2.*

Thanks.

 -Patrick

--
Patrick Hubert