[omniORB] omniORB news

Tue, 02 Apr 2002 15:09:05 +0100

Dear omniORB users,

Last Friday's CVS snapshots of omniORB 4 and omniORBpy 2 should be
considered beta versions. I have made links in the FTP site, so you
can download them at

  ftp://ftp.omniorb.org/pub/omniORB/omniORB_40_snapshots/omniORB-4-0-0-beta1.tar.gz
  ftp://ftp.omniorb.org/pub/omniORB/omniORBpy_2_snapshots/omniORBpy-2-0-beta1.tar.gz

There are still a few rough edges, but the vast majority of the
planned functionality is there. The documentation has not yet been
updated for the new and changed features.

That's the good news. The bad news is that AT&T Laboratories Cambridge
will be closing towards the end of April. omniORB's future is
therefore somewhat uncertain. I'm sure that this will not spell the
end for omniORB, since there is a strong user community and the
software is used by many people around the world. I hope to continue
my involvement with the omniORB project.

I'm sure you will understand if things are a little quiet on the
development front for a while. Please try out the beta versions, and
continue to discuss any difficulties you encounter.

Yours,

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --