[omniORB] problems with Python and -ORBgiopMaxMsgSize

David Konerding dek@cgl.ucsf.EDU
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:28:55 -0700

David Konerding writes:

>Hi, folks,
>
>I am using omniORB3 with omniORBpy, and I am having a problem.
>When I send a very large message (~1.7MB data) I get a MARSHAL exception.
>I am trying to using a much larger -ORBgiopMaxMsgSize
>by passing that in the argv array when I initialize the ORB from Python.
>So far, I have had no luck- no matter what value I set the message size to,
>I still get the marshal exception.  It looks to me very much like the parameter
>is not actually being passed to the C++ ORB layer.

OK, I did some poking around using the echo client and I believe I understand
the problem now.  From the manual, I got the impression that the ORBgiopMaxMsgSize
parameter only needs to be set on the ORB's server side, and that the client
doesn't really need to set it:

"The reason such a limit exists is to provide some way to protect the
server side from resource exhaustion."

However, when the ORB client side marshals the data to send it, if the
marshalled data exceeds the giopMaxMsgSize (even before it actually
gets sent to the server) then a MARSHAL exception is raised.

This seems highly counter-intuitive to me given the wording the documentation.
Can we get a clarification  in the manual on exactly what this parameter affects?

Dave Konerding