[omniORB] Event producer/consumer app crash

Rowe, Simon srowe@adaptivebroadband.com
Fri, 25 May 2001 14:40:30 +0100

Thanks for the response Sai-Lai

> Hard to tell what could be the problem. Just some suggestions:
>
> 1. The same Any should not be marshalled by more than one
> thread at the same
> time.
>    This is an implementation restriction. Looks like you have already
> avoided that by
>    creating copies of the Any per channel.

We discovered that the hard way, the alternative we tried when this problem
first appeared was exatly that.

> 3. LCD mode implies that the typecode in an Any are alias
> expanded before it
> is marshalled.
>    The trace you have supplied point to aliasExpand which is
> doing exactly
> that.
>    You could try disable the alias expansion

Disabling alias expansion seems to be the key, it's been running all day
under Purify without a problem.

>    Hopefully, javaIDL is able to deal with non-alias expanded
> typecode.

Unfortunately I believe this was the reason we enabled LCD mode, my collegue
that looked into the problem is not here today but I recall an issue with
certain objects being silently dropped by the Java ORB.

Does this indicate a problem with alias expansion? Is there anything we can
do to help identify where the problem is? This product is very close to
shipping and it would be nice to fix :-)

	Simon