[omniORB] Assertion Failed

jon.kristensen@kongsberg-simrad.com jon.kristensen@kongsberg-simrad.com
Fri, 4 May 2001 14:44:26 +0200

Hi,

We have an embedded system with two or three computers, where there are multiple
clients and servers on all.
We are running the Pharlap ETS RTOS (now aquired by VenturCom), which is based
on the Win32 API and uses a Winsock compatible socket library. The compiler is
Visual Studio 6.0, sp3.

We use omniORB 2.8.0, snapshot dated January 7th, 2000.

Recently, we have experienced a crash in the omniORB code. As our embedded
system is for subsea use and the crash so far only have occured while submerged,
it is quite difficult to debug, but we are trying to reproduce the fault in our
lab.

The crash occurs in Strand::Sync::RdUnlock() (strand.cc, line 330), where the
assert statement fails.

Helmut Swaczinna initiated a thread in the mailing list on July 26th, 1999 where
he describes the same problem (
http://www.uk.research.att.com/omniORB/archives/1999-07/0229.html). The thread
proposes several fixes, but it stops without resolving the problem.

Was this issue resolved conclusively?

As my process is both a server and a client, it is difficult to pinpoint which
operations that causes this. However, it has happened repeatedly at about the
same point in the operation of our system. As soon as we are able to reproduce
it in the lab, we will run with full omniORB tracing, and post anything of
interest.

In the mean time, any input is appreciated.

Best regards
Jon

Jon Kristensen
Principal Engineer, SW Embedded Systems