[omniORB] omniMapper as bootstrap for Java?

Michael Carland michael.carland@nvs.com
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 08:47:52 -0600

Duncan Grisby wrote:

> On Thursday 22 March, Michael Carland wrote:
>
>> 1) can omniMapper be used as the initial services point for the
>> bootstrap method that Java uses? How do I name the entries on the config
>> file?
>
> No, omniMapper doesn't support the Java bootstrap agent stuff. It's a
> proprietary mechanism which omniNames was hacked to support, for the
> lack of anything better. Now that the INS has arrived, it's far better
> than the bootstrap agent. I suppose omniMapper could be extended to
> support the bootstrap agent, but that would just encourage people to
> continue using the old mechanism.
>
> The best solution is to use a decent Java ORB (i.e. not the JDK ORB)
> which has support for the INS.

I was actually able to get this to work. If I started omniMapper with ORBInitRef's,
those values would appear when I used omniMapper as the bootstrap for Java. Rereading
the doc, section 6.8, it said that every instance of the ORB was running that, and
that there was a switch, -ORBno_bootstrap_agent, to turn it off. So I gave
ORBInitRef a try and it worked.

Is anyone working on an ImplementationRepository for OmniORB?

Thanks,
-Michael