[omniORB] omniMapper as bootstrap for Java?

Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:57:28 +0000

On Thursday 22 March, Michael Carland wrote:

> 1) can omniMapper be used as the initial services point for the
> bootstrap method that Java uses? How do I name the entries on the config
> file?

No, omniMapper doesn't support the Java bootstrap agent stuff. It's a
proprietary mechanism which omniNames was hacked to support, for the
lack of anything better. Now that the INS has arrived, it's far better
than the bootstrap agent. I suppose omniMapper could be extended to
support the bootstrap agent, but that would just encourage people to
continue using the old mechanism.

The best solution is to use a decent Java ORB (i.e. not the JDK ORB)
which has support for the INS.

> 2) where can I find more documentation about how this process works?
> None of the books on CORBA I have surrounded myself with describe the
> process.

I can't find any documentation about it at the moment. Look at
idl/bootstrap.idl. The way the bootstrap agent works is that there is
a special object with key "INIT", with the interface given in
bootstrap.idl. Once you have that, it's obvious how it all works.