[omniORB] Grief building OmniORB with Mandrake 8

Cay Horstmann cay@horstmann.com
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 18:13:36 -0700

At 10:58 2001-07-16 +0100, Duncan Grisby wrote:
>On Sunday 15 July, Cay Horstmann wrote:
>
>> I can't seem to build OmniORB on Mandrake 8. Here is what I do:
>
>[...]
>> When I run with -ORBtraceLevel 25, I get a message
>> omniORB: throw NO_RESOURCES from initRefs.cc:572
>> omniORB: Ref to: root<0> -- deleted
>
>This means you haven't told omniORB where to find the Naming service.
>You must create an omniORB.cfg file or use the -ORBInitRef command
>line argument. See section 1.2 of the omniORB manual.

Thanks, that took care of it. I independently hit upon that when I got a
more intelligible error message from the nameclt tool. (I had a typo in one
of the environment variables...)

A suggestion: Why not have omniNames print a warning when it finds that
this hasn't been done right? It might keep down traffic on the mailing list
:-)

>You should also make sure you are using the most up-to-date versions
>of the gcc 2.96 compiler and libstdc++. Early versions have bugs which
>cause random omniORB crashes.

I used gcc 3.0, and it seemed to work fine. Phew! Now OmniORB is once again
featured as the ORB of choice in Core Java.

Cheers,

Cay

---
Cay S. Horstmann           mailto:cay@horstmann.com