[omniORB] omniORB4 threading enhancements have now been checked-in

Sai-Lai Lo s.lo@uk.research.att.com
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 13:29:04 -0000

Several users in the past had pointed out the interoperability problem with
other ORBs where a deeply nested call could result in a dead-lock. This is a
known problem and can only be solved if omniORB would dispatch more than 1
thread to serve a connection. I talked about the proposed changes to
omniORB4 in this posting:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/omniORB/archives/2001-03/0060.html

The work has been done and the changes have been checked-in last Friday. If
you have interoperability problems in the past that are of this nature,
please test out the latest omniORB4 snapshot.

By the way, the ORB can now do thread pool as well as thread-pre-connection.
Even better, it is able to switch between the 2 dynamically depending on the
number of connections.

The changes and the tunable configuration variables are documented in the
omniORB4 development status WIKI:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/cgi-bin/omni-wiki/moin.cgi/OmniOrb4Developmen
tStatus?action=show

In case you wonder, we still have some way to go to reach the full release
status. We are getting there though.

Sai-Lai