[omniORB] COMM_FAILURE vs NO_IMPLEMENT

Andriy Gapon avg@icyb.kiev.ua
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:03:39 +0200

Hello,

my question/proposition concerns type of exception thrown in the
case where client tries to perform operation on referenced object and
its ORB while trying to establish TCP connection to the host/port
specified in reference reveals that noone listens at the other end
("connection refused"). Currently omniORB (2.8.0) throws COMM_FAILURE
which I think would be more appropriate for the case where client ORB
cannot reach server due to network failures ("network unreachable",
"host ubreachable" etc). It seems to me that sever hosting object not
being run can not be treated as communication failure. In VisiBroker
they use NO_IMPLEMENT to distinguish between these two cases. Perhaps,
that would be useful to indroduce such difference into omniORB.

--
Andriy Gapon		mailto:avg@icyb.kiev.ua