[omniORB] Success making Python dynamic module on Alpha-OpenVMS7.2

Fabien COUTANT Fabien.Coutant@steria.fr
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 14:23:17 +0100

Hello everyone,

Some of you (and omniORB team) may be interested in the fact I achieved
to build and run Python as a shared library, and consequently make and
run dynamic python modules, on OpenVMS 7.2 Alpha.

Unfortunately I failed to make a working omniORBpy dynamic module,
because I don't know enough of OpenVMS C/C++ compile and link
intrinsics, and I lack time to investigate problems.  But the work I
made could be a start point for some VMS guru to work on...

I wish to contribute the files (7K in 3 files including a README), but
have nowhere to put them on, and don't want to pollute the list by
posting them directly.

I post this in the hope that someone (from the omniORB team ?) wishes to
take this on and use it to build an omniORB dynamic module...  or offer
some space to hold the few files.  NB:  I also mailed the files to Uwe
Zessin, author of the VMS port of Python.

And to the people who wrote omniORB's port to OpenVMS:  it would be nice
to complete the build procedure for omniORBpy...  All that was made is a
.OLB and I had to hack a main program and compile/link procedure from
omniidl's procedure to obtain a omnipython.exe (works quite well
however, congratulations).

--
Hope this helps,
Fabien.