[omniORB] mixed bag of questions ...

Gary D. Duzan gdd0@gte.com
Wed, 26 May 1999 09:43:44 -0400

In Message <D83AF46DF4F4D1119C9408002BB9FB1C02BD2BC9@uspto-is-104.uspto.gov> ,
   David.Chung@USPTO.GOV wrote:

=>	As a newbie, I have a number of questions ...
=>
=>	(1) is anyone working on transaction service for omniORB2?  Would
=>anyone like to work on transaction service for omniORB2?

   There is a reference to a commercial transaction service in the
Contributed Applications section on the OmniORB home page.

=>	(2) when a local client makes a local call for ORB service
=>(transaction, concurrency, etc), in response, does omniORB2 make a local
=>subroutine call?  Or does it do something more time consuming, such as
=>placing the local call in a request queue?  (I could not figure it out from
=>my glances through the code).

   It makes a local subroutine call.

=>	(3) If it does make a local call for CORBA service, is it correct
=>that the speed of the call is in the same order as subroutine calls?

   Yes.

=>	(4) if one is using POA, the local client calls for CORBA services
=>are no longer  treated as subroutine calls, right?  Is there thread
=>switching in this case?

   Good question. I've heard this, myself, so I assume there could be
some slowdown. Hopefully, a clever enough implementation will be able
to limit the impact of this, if required.

					Gary Duzan
					GTE Laboratories