[omniORB] Strange _non_existent() behavior

Randy Shoup rshoup@tumbleweed.com
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:26:47 -0800

All --

  In our system, we have a sort of monitor process which periodically
polls the other components in the system to see if they are alive.  We
have been using _non_existent() to determine whether a component is
alive, but we have been experiencing some strange behavior.  This call
sometimes seems to throw an exception even when the target object is
up.  Other calls which we make to our own IDL interfaces seem to be much
more stable/robust, and we have never experienced (for example)
COMM_FAILURE exceptions when the target object is up.  I reviewed the
code of _non_existent() briefly (to see if it lacked automatic retry
semantics, for example), and couldn't see an obvious difference between
it and a standard interface call.  Can anyone shed some light on this?

  BTW, we are using omniORB_2.6.1 on Solaris 2.6.

Thanks,
-- Randy
Randy Shoup                                     (650)569-3682
Software Architect                              rshoup@tumbleweed.com
Tumbleweed Software Corporation