[omniORB] [ominORB] New Event Service for omni, Orbix (on NT, Linux in C++ and Java).

CORBA Event Service eventservice@usa.net
Fri, 05 Mar 1999 16:33:50 +0000

Hi,
  We are Frank Lynch & William Hayes, final year students (BSc in
Applied Computing) at WIT, Waterford, Ireland.
 We are developing a *new* Event Service as our final year project. We
are building it in both C++ and Java on NT and Linux using Orbix/OW and
omniORB.

This is a full implementation of the Event Service Spec. - supports all
four models of communication:

   Push Supplier - Push Consumer
   Pull Supplier - Pull Consumer
   Push Supplier - Pull Consumer
   Pull Supplier - Push Consumer

 NOTE: omniEvents does not support (Pull Supplier - Push Consumer)
Sorry - but this is untyped events only.

We have also added a number of _groovy_ features such as:

   * Persistent connection information:  (So if the Event Service is
     restarted she knows who is connected to what channels).

   * Advanced threading support : She is fully multi threaded, with a
     choice of four different threading models (the model thats used is
     decided at startup).

   * Create "Closed" channels : you can create a channel and limit the
     number  of suppliers/consumers that can connect to it.

   * Pause & stop/go methods added : suppliers & consumers can decide
     that they don't want to be contacted by the event service until
     they unpause or go.

   * Channel Administrator added: this interface allows for the
     creation/deletion of channels, not all users have access to this
     object, the destroy method does not work on the channel object
     itself. We have done this as we believe that "just anyone" should
     be able to delete channels.

     Our event service is still under development and testing, in our
performance tests on NT we beat the socks off omniEvents and OrbixEvents
(pushing 10,000 events to 10 push consuemers all on one local machie).
We expect that the whole thing will be completed by the end of the
month.

 Check out the web site at :
 http://emhain.wit.ie/~p98ac18/

 (The site like the project is under major  reconstruction - and not
completely up to date - so please bare with us:-)