[omniORB] omniORB, Objective-C binding, and interceptors?

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
21 Jun 1999 11:42:29 +0100

Justin,

omniORB does not have an Objective-C binding. To create an Objective-C
binding, one has to:

1. write an IDL compiler backend to emit the Objective-C mapping.
2. write a (hopefully small) adaptation layer to link the omniORB2 runtime,
   which is written in C++ to the Objective-C world.

Now I do not know enough of Objective-C to say whether it is possible to do
interlanguage calls between it and C++. Exceptional handling and threading
may cause problems. It may be necessary to fall back on-to using C call
conventions to interface the two.

Perhaps the experience of the AdaBroker team (http://adabroker.eu.org/) may
be relevent. They have done an Ada ORB using omniORB2's runtime. Fabien
Azavant azavant@email.enst.fr may be able to help.

Interceptors will come, after POA (ETA Oct).

Sai-Lai

--
Sai-Lai Lo                                   S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
AT&T Laboratories Cambridge           WWW:   http://www.uk.research.att.com