[omniORB] could not compile omniORB_2.7.1 on IRIX 6.2

James Riden jamesr@harlequin.co.uk
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 09:02:30 +0100

At 02:18 PM 6/10/99 +0800, zeng xibai wrote:
>I am new to CORBA. I want to develop applicaiton across solaris(SPARC),
>Redhat Linux(x86) and IRIX(MIPS), So the first step I need to do is to
  ^^^
Last night I tried RedHat 5.2 + egcs 1.1.2 and it works fine.

>deploy CORBA ORB on all this platforms. I prefer  omniORB 2.7.1.
>I successfully compiled it on Solaris and Redhat. the "echo" sample
>looks like OK. But I encounter trouble in compiling it on IRIX
>6.2(SGI Indigo 2 IMPACT R10000). My compiler is:
>
>C compiler 7.1
>C++ complier 7.1

Zeng,
  I have compiled stuff with this compiler - it's getting a bit out
of date now, so replace it if you can.

BUT - the IRIX 6.5 docs say -lpthread *must* appear as the last
library on the link line, so the makefiles need a little hacking.
If you get any segfaults (in pthread_key_create ?) when trying to
run the binaries, this is probably what's wrong.

sll - should I make a patch for this ? (one which works this time :)
      Congratulations on the Open Brand btw

It did compile OK, but I experienced problems trying to run it, as
the c++ runtime had a few "surprises" in it.
(assert failed in throw.cxx, or something similar)

The 7.1 compiled version did work though on several machines with the 7.2
C++ runtime. I don't know if you can safely replace the 7.1 runtime with
the 7.2 runtime on your machine - check with your sysadmins.

Use versions -b to find out what software your machine is running, and
version -b | grep patch  to find out what patches have been applied.
eoe is SGIs name for what I call the 'runtime' above - it means
Execution Environment or something.

HTH and good luck,

cheers,
  James