[omniORB] Cannot resolve initial reference to Name Service

Bjorn Wennberg bjornw@tihlde.org
15 Jul 1999 11:51:45 +0200

Greg Jones <greg_jones@federal.crc.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have come across an error resolving the initial reference to the Name
> Service. I had this problem once before and found the cause to be in the
> omniORB.cfg. However, this time, the .cfg file appears to be correct. I receive
> only on error when executing:
>
> 	"Aborted"
>
> Obviously, the error occurs when executing this line:
>
> 	initServ = orb->resolve_initial_references("NameService");
>
> The omniORB env variables are set to:
>
> 	OMNIORB_CONFIG=/path/to/cfg/file/omniORB.cfg
> 	OMNINAMES_LOGDIR=/path/to/log/files/
> 	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/omniORB/lib/
> 		- the library files have been propogated up one level from the
> 		i586... dir so they reside under ./lib/.
>
> omniNames is running and the omniORB.cfg file contains the correct IOR string,
> assuming the proper syntax is:
>
> 	NAMESERVICE IOR:<string>

All this seems to be correct. Especially including the prefix 'IOR:' which
all seems to forget :-/

> I have read the omniORB faq and searched many times for other possible
> solutions but none seem to help.  I am using the egcs compiler with pgcs 1.1.3
> patch, omniORB 2.7.1, and SuSE Linux 6.1. Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Greg

Can you test this without pgcs? I'm not sure, but a voice in my head tries
to tell me something about threading and pgcs - but I can't remember what is
was.

It seems to me that the 'abort' you are getting might be related to a threading
problem.

Does the other example-programs work correctly?

bjornw>