[omniORB] Lost one-way calls

Teemu Torma tot@trema.com
22 Apr 1999 14:10:59 +0200

Duncan Grisby <dgrisby@uk.research.att.com> writes:

> Oneway calls cannot throw any sort of exceptions, so if they fail you
> never get to know about it. In fact, there are no guarantees that a
> oneway call will actually happen. That said, omniORB does try quite
> hard to send oneway calls -- can you give more details about what you
> are doing when this problem occurs?  Also, is there a good reason why
> you're using oneways rather than normal operations?

I have also seen lost one-way calls without any reasonable
explanation.  I understand that they are not guaranteed, but using tcp
connection in local machine without any communication failures one
would assume that nothing gets lost.

I don't think that this is related to communication failure or lost
exceptions, because in my case no exceptions were raised, and there
were no communication failures.  Using normal calls everything works
as expected. The one-way calls are simply silently lost somewhere, not
very often (maybe 1 out of 50), but still.

Teemu