[omniORB] Passing Objects by Reference

Robert H. Fritz rfritz@geologics.com
Mon, 4 May 1998 11:43:23 -0400

Excuse me if this question sounds strange because I'm as new to CORBA as I
am to OmniORB.

Our application requires that most of the calls from the client to the
server be non-blocking.  From the book I've been reading, one method to
implement this requirement is have the client object pass a reference to
itself and have the server execute the client's methods.

In short, as a simple test I'd like to modify eg3 to have echoString accept
a reference to the client object which would have its own method (accepting
the server's return value as an argument) which the server would call.

I'm not exactly sure how to do this.  I would hope that part of this would
be possible by simply using IDL.  And I'm hoping that the solution doesn't
involve making all clients into "real" servers.  Any directions, references,
code samples, and sympathy graciously accepted.

Rob Fritz
rfritz@geologics.com