CORBA, firewall and HTTP tunnelling (RESEND2)

Ramana Ramachandran ramana.ramachandran@mci.com
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 09:48:01 -0600

hi
First of all apologies if you are getting duplicates. I have tried
mailing 2 times and both times the mails have gone to /dev/null. Sai, is
there any reason why I can't post to the mailing list and also not get a
bounced mail?

I am writing a report "CORBA, firewall and HTTP tunnelling". I am in the
process of gathering information. Please suggest URLs/papers that might
be relavent. I have looked under www.omg.org and also www.tis.com but I
have obtained only a few relevent pages. BTW I did get hold of John
Sebes's (from tis) presentation to the committe. Does somebody have any
pointer that I could follow?

Also I am planning to show a simple demo on HTTP tunnelling and how it
could be used to send IIOP packets. Can somebody tell me how to proceed?
As of now, the way I am thinking of is....

Have a URL on a regular http server pointing to a machine where you will
run the IIOP tunelling server.
The IIOP Tunneling server will strip incoming HTTP packet header and
process the embedded IIOP requests, Also on the outgoing message it will
embed the IIOP message inside HTTP and deliver it.
I am planning on using omniorb2 on the server and JavaIDL on the client.
I dont know how to do the HTTP encoding and use the proxy from the
client side. Any ideas? Is this a workable deal? Also, I think, using
this approach, you can have only pure CORBA clients behind the firewall
(right?) Since connections wont be allowed from outside. I am not too
sure if I can use the HTTP KEEP_ALIVE option and thereby allowing the
objects behind the firewall to be servers too.

Thanks
ramana