Debuging omniORB programs on Linux

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 15:47:01 +0100

> I am having problems using gdb on Linux (RedHat 4.2, i386) to debug
> omniORB programs: breakpoints within threads other than the initial one
> don't seem to work. I suspect the total lack of support for threading in
> gdb for Linux...

I haven't found a way to use gdb to debug linuxthread programs. One can
step through the main thread but I can't stop a spawned thread at a
specific breakpoint. I suspect that is because each thread under
linuxthread looks every bit like a process to the kernel (but shares the
code and data sections with others). Gdb is not written to cope with
that. The writer of linuxthreads may be able to provide a better answer.

Sai-Lai

--
E-mail:         S.Lo@orl.co.uk          |       Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab
                                        |       24a Trumpington Street
Tel:            +44 223 343000          |       Cambridge CB2 1QA
Fax:            +44 223 313542          |       ENGLAND