[omniORB] DNS caching

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue Nov 27 12:49:14 GMT 2018

On Mon, 2018-11-26 at 06:18 +0000, Phil Bradbury via omniORB-list
wrote:

[...]
> In particular, it seems to cache DNS lookup failures – if we’re
> restarting everything, and at the time our application starts up, the
> remote server is not yet available (and the DNS name does not
> resolve) then omniORB will cache that the DNS name resolves to
> nothing… and then later, when the DNS does resolve, attempting to
> connect to it will still give the same “no usable profiles” error.

Yes, omniORB's previous behaviour was to remember the DNS lookup
results for ever, including if the lookup failed.

> We recently found reference in the docs to a
> “resolveNamesForTransportRules” setting, which seems like it should
> do exactly what we want, delay the DNS lookup to connection time… but
> that setting doesn’t seem to exist in 4.2.2… if I’m reading
> correctly, it was added after that version was released, so this
> setting isn’t in an actual release as yet.

Yes, it was added after 4.2.2. In fact, you want the other new
configuration parameter that was added at the same time,
retainAddressOrder. You can set it to zero (false), to tell omniORB not
to remember name lookup results.

I do plan to release 4.2.3 some time soon, but the 4.2 branch is
extremely stable with only minor bug fixes going into it, so it is safe
to use the head of the 4_2 branch.