[omniORB] DNS caching

Phil Bradbury pbradbury at iress.com.au
Mon Nov 26 06:18:43 GMT 2018

We're trying to work with a remote CORBA object that lives on a server behind a redundancy/failover setup that uses DNS to point to the currently-active server. What we're finding is that omniORB is not following the DNS changes... it seems to be aggressively caching the DNS lookup.

In particular, it seems to cache DNS lookup failures - if we're restarting everything, and at the time our application starts up, the remote server is not yet available (and the DNS name does not resolve) then omniORB will cache that the DNS name resolves to nothing... and then later, when the DNS does resolve, attempting to connect to it will still give the same "no usable profiles" error.

We recently found reference in the docs to a "resolveNamesForTransportRules" setting, which seems like it should do exactly what we want, delay the DNS lookup to connection time... but that setting doesn't seem to exist in 4.2.2... if I'm reading correctly, it was added after that version was released, so this setting isn't in an actual release as yet.

What would you recommend we should do here? We would prefer to be using an official release over building the 4.2.x head version, but we could probably do that if it was the best solution... do you know of any good workaround to get this sort of thing working with 4.2.2? Or, are there any plans for releasing a 4.2.3?

Thanks,
Phillip Bradbury
Important Note
This email (including any attachments) contains information which is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, distribute or copy this email.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email. Any views expressed in this email are not necessarily the views of IRESS Limited.

It is the duty of the recipient to virus scan and otherwise test the information provided before loading onto any computer system.
IRESS Limited does not warrant that the information is free of a virus or any other defect or error.