[omniORB] Running omniNames and omniEvents on the same box with specific endpoints

Alexander T mittspamkonto at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 07:59:44 BST 2015

Hello!

I've had some trouble with omniORB listening to ipv6 addresses by
default. I would like it to prefer ipv4. I first tried setting up
gai.conf to prefer ipv4, but this didn't seem to force omniORB off
ipv6.

I then tried to set new endPoints for omniNames and omniEvents, where
I specified an ipv4 address they should listen to. This initially
didn't work out so great, since both omniNames and omniEvents seems to
read the same config, and I couldn't understand how to set different
endPoints for the different binaries. Is this possible?

Anyway, I continued and figured out that you for omniNames can set
parameters on the command line, like 'omniNames -start -ignoreport
-ORBendPoint giop:tcp:127.1.0.1:2810'. This works, but the
'ignoreport' param is crucial, since it suppresses the default
endPoint. For omniEvents, I wasn't so lucky. It seems that you can
configure an alternative endPoint with -a, but I couldn't find any
equivalent of 'ignoreport'. So I couldn't get omniEvents to stay clear
of ipv6, and if I try to change settings by editing /etc/omniORB.cfg,
omniNames picks up the same settings and tries to listen to the same
endPoint!

So my question is simple: How can I run both omniNames and omniEvents
on the same machine while being able to configure both their listening
addresses (endPoints)? Alternatively, how do I make omniORB prefer
ipv4 over ipv6 when choosing default endPoints?

Best regards,

Alexander