[omniORB] OmniNames fails to start

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Wed Sep 18 15:31:36 BST 2013

On Tue, 2013-09-17 at 19:56 +0000, Battista, Richard M wrote:

>   During the installation of RedHawk in section 2.6 at
> http://redhawksdr.github.io/Documentation/mainch2.html#x4-120002.6 I
> receive an error when executing “sudo /sbin/service omniNames start”.
> The message shows

> Starting omniNames            [FAILED]

omniNames will have output an error somewhere. If you're using RPMs
built from the spec file in the omniORB distribution, there will
probably be a file /var/omniNames/error.log. If not, you'll need to read
the init script to see what it does with omniNames debug output.

[...]
> The computer is stand alone and not connected to a network.

When you say it's not connected to a network, does it have any
networking enabled at all?  If it doesn't at least have a TCP loopback
interface, omniORB can't work.

>   Centos was installed, then the rpms for redhawk.  I checked and port
> 2609 is not being used.

The port for the CORBA naming service is 2809, not 2609. Maybe you have
something already listening on that?