[omniORB] omniORBpy: __init__.py installed in site-packages

Floris Bruynooghe flub at devork.be
Mon Jun 13 18:48:10 BST 2011

On 5 June 2011 22:16, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart at fourpalms.org> wrote:
> On 06/05/2011 01:19 PM, Floris Bruynooghe wrote:
>> It seems that __init__.py gets installed in the toplevel
>> site-packages.  While generally not very harmful I'm sure it can
>> hardly be deemed as correct.  The offending code seems to be in
>> python/COS/dir.mk, here a small patch which fixes this:
>> I'm not sure why that was there, am I disabling something important by
>> this change?
>
> Isn't this required to do a clean install into an alternate location?
> Breaking that installation is probably not a step forward.

I doubt it.  omniorbpy needs to make it's own directories packages but
it can't ensure that the directory containing those packages ends up
on sys.path anyway.  And turning the directory on sys.path into a
package itself just seems wrong.

> This is not an issue for things like RPM installations since that file can
> be omitted from the package

Sure, I don't mind patching it on Debian's side (in fact we will in
the current release).  I just don't understand yet why it was there in
the first place and am worried that it is (a small) error.

Regards
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom