[omniORB] How to handle server shutdown

Toni Cebrián ancechu at gmail.com
Fri May 29 10:38:28 BST 2009

Hi,

   We have a problem trying to reach a server that has been shut down and
restarted. The setup is as follow, we have a Client that access the
NameService asking for the  server reference. It then stores the narrowed
object for later access. Then I shutdown the server, I restart again, the
server does a rebind in the NameService, and waits por connections. The
server is started with de -ORBendPoint giop:tcp:my_machine:my_port option in
the command line. The server is perfectly functional for other clients, but
the former client isn't able to communicate with the server. It doesn't
complain about anything, nor CORBA::Transient nor CORBA::COMM_ERRORs  when
sending requests but the server doesn't manages the requests. I supose that
there is something I'm doing wrong but I can't see what.
   The question is, which is the best way you make your clients fault
tolerant to CORBA server failures? It seems that restarting the server
listening in the same port doesn't work for me.

Best regards.