[omniORB] [Q]report server architecture with omniOrb

V S P toreason at fastmail.fm
Wed Feb 4 02:37:42 GMT 2009

Hi,
I am new to the list.
Currently designing a somewhat simple (but distributed) reporting server
that will be using postegres and files joining them together to create
reports.

The way the system would work is there is a table called request_queue
an entry there would indicate a type of report to run and the status of
the entry (submitted, executed, errored, inprogress).

Reports can take several hours to run, so the 'report servers'
have to be asynchronious.

I was thinking I coud use omniOrb to implement the 'distribution'
underpinning. However I am having difficulties invisioning how it can be
done.

a) assuming that I have some kind of a 'dispatcher' client that reads
the data from the queue table, then it needs to figure out which one of
the report serveres is not busy -- and send the request to that one.

b) the server would take the request, will say 'thank you' and work it
on it for a couple of hours, and then update the status of the queue
entry as 'executed'.

I thought I would need Naming Service and notification service for this,
however, my undestanding is that Notification service is not really
supported and certainly not working in Windows with VC++ 9

Wanted to ask if anybody has recommendation of what OmniOrb features I
need to look for/use for the above (or if there are better alternatives)

thank you in advance,
Vlad
--
  V S P