[omniORB] returning a long sequence - is there a limit ?

Thomas Lockhart lockhart at fourpalms.org
Thu Jan 24 15:47:19 GMT 2008

>  Thank you for idea, but I think returning one big sequence would
>  avoid many round trips from server to client and back and this way
>  could cause performance degradation. My idea was not to have enormous
>  data sets returned, like millions of rows, this is just ridiculous,
>  but only some reasonably big results, like 100-1000. And the idea of
>  jumping to 30k rows dataset was only to try testing overhead.

If the iterator interface is designed to return a (partial) result in
the first call, then you will not have multiple calls to handle
"reasonably big results". However, if you are returning results from,
say, a DB, you will have no absolute control over the largest return
set, and could run into fundamental system limitations which cause
transfer failures. So designing with an iterator may be considered a
more robust (and in the typical case, a no more expensive) solution.

hth

                             - Tom