[omniORB] returning a long sequence - is there a limit ?

Ilya Zvyagin masterziv at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 19:28:03 GMT 2008

Thomas Lockhart wrote:
>> 1) How can I further investigate and solve this problem ?
> Since you want to support an unlimited amount of data, the more robust
> solution would be to return the result with an iterator. That way both
> client and server have some influence over the maximum transfer size
> each can handle. The iterator interface can also allow the entire
> result to be returned in the first call, if the result is smaller than
> the maximum size.
Thank you for idea, but I think returning one big sequence would avoid
many round trips
from server to client and back and this way could cause performance
degradation.
My idea was not to have enormous data sets returned, like millions of
rows, this is just
ridiculous, but only some reasonably big results, like 100-1000. And the
idea of jumping
to 30k rows dataset was only to try testing overhead.