[omniORB] Timeouts on oneway calls

Serguei Kolos Serguei.Kolos at cern.ch
Fri Apr 4 00:30:16 BST 2008

Hello

I have noticed a weired behavior of timeouts for one-way calls - it
seems that they depend on the
amount of data which is being sent. The one-way function takes sequence
of bytes as its argument
and if the server application hangs by some reason then I get the
following behavior on the client
side:
1. If the sequence is shorter then 4KB then the client gets the
TRANSIENT exception with the Timeout minor
    code right after 10 seconds which is the timeout that I'm using
2. If the sequence size is more then 5KB then the client application
hangs forever. One interesting point is
    that if I stop the hanging client with Ctrl-Z and then bring it back
with the 'fg' command then the one-way
     function immediately throws the TRANSIENT Timeout exception.
I'm using omniORB 4.0.7 on SLC4 Linux with gcc 3.4

Does anybody have an idea why I got this behavior and how this could be
improved ?

Cheers,
Sergei