[omniORB] omniNames security

Andrew Edem andrew at kaxis.us
Wed Oct 10 16:35:31 BST 2007

Hi Andrea,

Unfortunately CORBA is not designed to provide publicly available
services over Internet.

It is possible to use SSL with CORBA including client cetificates to
limit access to servants from other trusted servants. However, they key
here is 'trusted'. You never want to allow access to your CORBA bus from
any application which is not trusted.

Thus it is important when designing and deploying CORBA-based systems to
ensure that the transport is protected either physically (separate
network) or cryptographically (SSL/VPN/IPsec/firewall) so that only
'trusted' clients can connect.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
-Andrew