[omniORB] More endPoint questions

Wernke zur Borg wernke.zur.borg at vega.de
Thu Sep 21 13:56:41 BST 2006

Hi all,

I have been dealing with the endPoint option to some success, but now I
am facing a difficult problem.

My server is running on a machine with two IP interfaces, where clients
can connect on either interface. A servant has to return object
references to clients, which are supposed to operate on them. Up to now
I used to create one server process for each interface, with the
relevant different endPoint setting for each process.

Now I have to use the same process for clients calling on both
interfaces. It is essential that every object reference gets the correct
IP address encoded in the IORs returned to each client.

My questions are:

1. When I set multiple endPoint options, can I expect that all related
endPoints get encoded into the IORs?

2. If yes, can I expect a client (not necessarily an omniORB client) to
try each endpoint in turn until he finds the correct one?

3. Alternatively, can I use endPointPublishAllIFs to get all available
endpoints encoded in IORs?

I am afraid that setting multiple endpoints or using the
endPointPublishAllIFs option merely leads to the ORB listening on those
interfaces but not to the usage of all of them in IORs. Correct me if I
am wrong.

Has anybody got a solution for the problem? Could perhaps the omniMapper
help?

Thank you for any hint.

Wernke