[omniORB] More endPoint questions

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu Sep 21 13:22:10 BST 2006

On Thursday 21 September, "Wernke zur Borg" wrote:

[...]
> 1. When I set multiple endPoint options, can I expect that all related
> endPoints get encoded into the IORs?

Yes.

> 2. If yes, can I expect a client (not necessarily an omniORB client) to
> try each endpoint in turn until he finds the correct one?

All modern CORBA implementations should try them all. Older ones may not
-- omniORB 3 didn't, for example. In omniORB, the order the addresses
are tried in is determined by the client transport rules.

> 3. Alternatively, can I use endPointPublishAllIFs to get all available
> endpoints encoded in IORs?

Yes.

> I am afraid that setting multiple endpoints or using the
> endPointPublishAllIFs option merely leads to the ORB listening on those
> interfaces but not to the usage of all of them in IORs. Correct me if I
> am wrong.

No, omniORB publishes the endpoints in IORs as well as listening on
them.

Have you read the relevant section in the omniORB documentation?  For
omniORB 4.0.x it's here:

  http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/omni40/omniORB/omniORB008.html#toc41

omniORB 4.1 has some new options about how addresses are published, that
let you do all kinds of interesting things. That's documented here:

  http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/omni41/omniORB/omniORB008.html#toc42