[omniORB] Need help installing omniORBpy-2.7

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu Oct 12 20:01:09 BST 2006

On Wednesday 4 October, W T Meyer wrote:

> I'm trying to install omniORBpy-2.7 on an Intel processor machine
> running Scientific Linux 3. I have omniORB-4.0.6 working successfully.

First of all, omniORBpy 2.7 isn't guaranteed to work with omniORB 4.0.6
-- you should use omniORB 4.0.7.

> I copied the tarball to /usr/local, extracted it and followed the
> installation instructions using autoconf. I used
> --with-omniorb=$OMNIORB_TOP with the configure step. OMNIORB_TOP is
> set to /usr/local/omniOrb/omniORB-4.0.6/release.

The configure doesn't always work if you install omniORBpy with a
different prefix to omniORB itself. It's better not to use
--with-omniorb but rather to configure both omniORB and omniORBpy with
the same --prefix.

> Initially, I left PYTHONPATH alone, since the documentation seems to
> indicate that this should not be necessary when using autoconf. But
> when I ran the echo example, it could not find the module omniORB.

You can only avoid setting PYTHONPATH if you install omniORBpy to the
same prefix that Python itself uses. With any other prefix, you need to
set PYTHONPATH.

> When I added /usr/local/omniORBpy-2.7/python to PYTHONPATH, this
> changed to "no module named _omnipy". I cannot find any module like
> _omnipy.*.

It sounds like you are trying to set PYTHONPATH to be the source
location of omniORBpy. That's wrong. You need to install omniORBpy, then
set PYTHONPATH to the install location. If you don't give configure a
--prefix, then it uses /usr/local, meaning that you need to set
PYTHONPATH to /usr/local/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages replacing X.Y with
whatever Python version you have.