[omniORB] Need help installing omniORBpy-2.7

W T Meyer meyer at iastate.edu
Wed Oct 4 11:30:27 BST 2006

I'm trying to install omniORBpy-2.7 on an Intel processor machine
running Scientific Linux 3. I have omniORB-4.0.6 working successfully.

I copied the tarball to /usr/local, extracted it and followed the
installation instructions using autoconf. I used
--with-omniorb=$OMNIORB_TOP with the configure step. OMNIORB_TOP is
set to /usr/local/omniOrb/omniORB-4.0.6/release.

I did not note any errors, but in the ton of messages that scroll by,
I could easily have missed one.

I'm trying to get example_echo_coloc.py to work as a first test of
the installation. Running 'omniidl -bpython example_echo.idl' worked fine.

Initially, I left PYTHONPATH alone, since the documentation seems to
indicate that this should not be necessary when using autoconf. But
when I ran the echo example, it could not find the module omniORB.

When I added /usr/local/omniORBpy-2.7/python to PYTHONPATH, this
changed to "no module named _omnipy". I cannot find any module like _omnipy.*.

According to the documentation I should have directories
$TOP/lib/python and $TOP/lib/$FARCH on PYTHONPATH as well, but the
documentation is not clear on what $TOP should be.  I assume in my
case it would be /usr/local/omniORBpy-2.7. But in that case, there is
no $TOP/lib directory. The only .../lib/python directory I can find
anywhere is on my $OMNIORB_TOP path, and it only contains the omniidl
stuff.  There is no .../lib/python/$FARCH directory for any value of $FARCH.

Did something go wrong in my installation?  If so, what?  Otherwise,
where do I find _omnipy?

Thanks for your help.