[omniORB] linux, windows communication problem + new problems

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu Oct 12 19:28:44 BST 2006

On Tuesday 10 October, Karl Schulze wrote:

> The setup I use is the following: omniNames and the eg3_impl are
> running on a Linux
> box with some parameters set, that are
> scanGranularity = 1
> inConScanPeriod = 1

I haven't been able to reproduce the error you see. However, the
configuration you've set means that once per second omniORB scans for
idle connections, and any that are idle at that moment in time are
closed. There is therefore a potential race condition where a client
opens a new connection, and before it manages to send a request the
server decides the connection is idle and closes it. That ought to
result in the client retrying, and indeed it does when I tested it, but
perhaps that's the cause of the problem you see. Do you see the problem
is you set inConScanPeriod to 2?

To confirm that that is really what's going on, you could try getting a
trace with -ORBtraceLevel 25 -ORBtraceInvocations 1 -ORBtraceThreadId 1
-ORBtraceTime 1 on both omniNames and the client. That way we can
correlate the connection handling on both sides.