[omniORB] Why do oneway requests hang on disconnected network?

Luke Deller ldeller at xplantechnology.com
Thu Nov 16 15:07:44 GMT 2006

Hi Tuyen,

I suspect that this behaviour is not caused by omniORB but rather by the
underlying TCP/IP transport.  The data buffer for outgoing requests that
you mention is probably the TCP socket's send buffer.

Which OS are you using?  Can you configure it to shut down the network
interface when it senses that the network cable has been unplugged?

The CORBA spec does state that oneway calls are not guaranteed to be
delivered.  To address the problem of indefinitely blocking, have you
tried setting a client-side timeout on the oneway invocation?

http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/omni40/omniORB/omniORB008.html#sec:timeou
tAPI

Regards,
Luke.