[omniORB] omniORB python supplier apparently disconnecting external consumer from event channel?

K. Workman kw_member at aegis.dynalias.net
Fri Jun 23 12:43:53 BST 2006

Joe Bronkema wrote:
> K. Workman wrote:
>

>> Everything  works perfectly on my office computer.
>>
>> However, when I attempt to execute the same programs (both the
>> existing Java and my new Python work) on my laptop, it does NOT work.
>> It exhibits the following symptoms when the Python supplier attempts
>> to send a message.

>> To summarize, everything works as expected until I attempt to send a
>> message from the Python supplier. Then, as far as I've been able to
>> determine, the Java consumer no longer sees messages on the event
>> channel. Until it is restarted, that is. It is as though the Python
>> supplier is somehow disconnecting the Java Consumer.
>>
>> Since the problem does NOT occur on my office PC, but ONLY on my
>> laptop, I'm assuming that something is not right in my configuration
>> (environment variables). So far, a comparison between my two
>> environments has not revealed much.
>>
> You don't say what notification service implementation you're using,
> so I don't know what options you have here, but have you tried logging
> what's going on in the notification service process?
>
> Also, taking a stab in the dark here, does your laptop have multiple
> network interfaces?  If so, does the problem still occur if you
> disable all but one?

The original Java application is legacy code that happens to be using
ACE TAO for Corba Naming and Event services. The Java consumer is
designed to log to standard out every message that it receives. Not the
content, but the fact that it received a message. In the event it
receives a message it doesn't recognize, it reports that as well. In
this case, it doesn't report a thing. It is as though it never receives
the message, at all.

You second point does bring to mind an issue. One difference between my
office PC and my laptop, is that my laptop is connected to my wirelesss
LAN, while my office PC only has the single wired NIC. It hadn't
occurred to me to  run things on the laptop while it is disconnected.
That might explain why the Java consumer seems never to see anything
from the Python supplier. But, not necessarily why the Java consumer
stops receiving messages from the Java supplier IMMEDIATELY after the
Python supplier attempts to send a message.

I will definitely take the laptop off my wireless LAN and see what
happens. It is certainly worth a try. I'll also take a closer look at
the event channel logs and see what I can see. However, the Python
consumer sees all messages (from both the Python and Java suppliers, so
I'm not hopeful the logs will show me anything conclusive.

Thanks for the pointer.

If you any other thoughts occur, please don't hesitate...