[omniORB] using more orb-s in the same application

Luke Deller ldeller at xplantechnology.com
Thu Apr 27 11:37:03 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 20:43 +0200, Attila Czigány wrote:
> In my application I would like to use more NameService/ORB -s.
> The app works as server and client too, the clients NameService is on
> another host, not the same as for the server part.
> But when I want to initialize the second orb with
> CORBA::ORB_init(argc,argv,.., options), it return with the same
> setting which was initialized before, and not with the things set in
> options variable.

Yes this is correct; you can only create one ORB in a process.

It is possible to access several different name services using the same
ORB.  How do you access the name service?  Are you using an initial
reference called "NameService"?  In this case you could for example add
another initial reference with a different name for accessing the other
name service.

> Another problem, I dont know if it is normal or not.
> If the server app is not on the same net as the NameService, it cannot
> register its object. Is this normal?
> (server app on local net, NameService on internet)

Obviously you need network connectivity: your app needs to be able to
contact the name service via the address which you specify.  Besides
this, there is no requirement that your app be on the same net as the
name service.

When a computer has several IP addresses, you can get problems if the
ORB picks the wrong IP address to publish in object references.  In this
case you will need to explicitly tell the ORB which IP addresses to
publish (using the "endPoint" or "endPointPublishAllIFs" configuration
options).

Regards,
Luke.

Important Note
This email (including any attachments) contains information which is
confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you are not
the intended recipient you must not use, distribute or copy this
email.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email. Any views expressed in this
email are not necessarily the views of XPlan Technology.

It is the duty of the recipient to virus scan and otherwise test the
information provided before loading onto any computer system.
Xplan Technology does not warrant that the
information is free of a virus or any other defect or error.