[omniORB] omniidl and pydev

OKeeffe, Michael K MOKEEFFE at amfam.com
Tue Oct 18 11:13:36 BST 2005

Glad to see you are checking out omniORB.

I think the first thing would be to get omniORB and omniORBpy running outside your dev environment to familiarize yourself with how it works.  The omniidl is used to compile the classes for the interface, based on the IDL file, and the stubs and skeletons required, so unless there are issues in building those files, you shouldn't have to run those through a debugger.  For example, in WSAD/Eclipse, I use Ant (http://ant.apache.org) to run the Java IDL compiler, and there are tools for Visual Studio to do the same thing on the C++ side.

It seems from the error message your configuration is incorrect, see http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/omnipy2/omniORBpy/omniORBpy001.html#toc2 for how to set your PYTHONPATH.  You should be running against the .dlls since you are running on Windows, not the .so files for Unix.  Once you get that working, see the readme.win32 for useful tips on running your project in Visual C++.  While I haven't used pydev, I imagine the setup is similar.