[omniORB] Configuring redundant/fail-over naming service w/ omniORB

renny.koshy at rubixinfotech.com renny.koshy at rubixinfotech.com
Thu Nov 3 09:17:10 GMT 2005

Duncan

We have been using a "High-Availability" library written by Konstantin
Knizchick to provide HA to some of our software.  I would think that it
would be an interesting prospect to use something like that to make
omniNames do HA.  Then things would automatically replicate between
instances.

Our port of some components that manage module registrations was really
easy using the lib.  More or less inheriting from a specific class will
take care of things.

I wonder if anyone is up to this task...

Renny Koshy
President & CEO

RUBIX Information Technologies, Inc.
www.rubixinfotech.com

             Duncan Grisby
             <duncan at grisby.or
             g>                                                         To
             Sent by:                  Steve Rowe <SRowe at photoworks.com>
             omniorb-list-boun                                          cc
             ces at omniorb-suppo         omniorb-list at omniorb-support.com
             rt.com                                                Subject
                                       Re: [omniORB] Configuring
                                       redundant/fail-over naming service
             11/03/2005 08:54          w/    omniORB
             AM

On Tuesday 1 November, Steve Rowe wrote:

> We would like to have a redundant/fail-over naming service in our system
in
> case the active naming service process quits working (e.g. if the machine
> hosting the naming service locks up or quits running, etc.).
>
> I haven't been able to determine how to set this up, but was wondering if
> someone on this list can point me to some documentation or provide some
> notes on their experience of setting something like this up.

omniNames does not itself support replication, so it's not going to
automatically copy names between instances. If you want more than one
naming service, servers publishing references will have to explicitly
publish them in all instances.

For clients, you can configure them to have the locations of multiple
instances, and they will try them in turn. e.g. in omniORB.cfg you can
have something like

InitRef = NameService = corbaloc:iiop:1.2 at first.host.name:2809,1.2
@second.host.name:2809/NameService